Follow the below steps to connect to the Instagram API.
- Go to the Meta for Developers page.
- Click the Create App button.
- Select None as the App Type, and fill in the rest of the details.
- Once created, in the left-hand sidebar, click the Add Product button and select Instagram Basic Display.
- At the bottom of the page, click the Create New App button.
- Enter the name of your new Facebook app, and click the Click Create App button.
- For the Valid OAuth Redirect URIs setting, enter the value from the Redirect URI field in Social Login.
- For the Deauthorize Callback URIs setting, enter the value from the Redirect URI field in Social Login.
- For the Data Deletion Request Callback URL setting, enter the value from the Redirect URI field in Social Login.
- Navigate to App Roles → Roles in the left-hand sidebar.
- Under the Instagram Testers section, click the Add Instagram Testers button.
- Provide your Instagram account’s username(s).
- Click the Submit button to send the invitation.
- Go to Instagram and login to the account you just invited.
- Navigate to (Profile Icon) → Edit Profile → Apps and Websites.
- Under the Tester Invites tab, accept the invitation.
- Navigate to App Review → Requests.
- Switch the App Mode toggle to Live.
- Click Request Permissions or Features.
- Locate the email permission and click the Get advanced access button.
- Navigate to *App Settings → Basic.
- Copy the App ID from Instagram and paste in the Client ID field in Social Login.
- Copy the App Secret from Instagram and paste in the Client Secret field in Social Login.
The Instagram Basic Display API(opens new window) does not allow users to use this API to login or register an accout. In their own words:
Instagram Basic Display is not an authentication solution. Data returned by the API cannot be used to authenticate your app users or log them into your app. If you need an authentication solution we recommend using Facebook Login instead.
Instagram can still be used to connect user accounts, but it requires an existing Craft user to link it to.